Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Parable of the purple crayon

I've learned this week one of the joys of having a child. I always hear of people embarking on the impossible task of removing permanent marker from couches and walls, trying to salvage their daughter's hair after a wad of gum way to big for anyone's mouth has been stuck in it, or trying to remove kool-aid from a once, nice off-white carpet. Well, this week I had one such moment. I don't know how it happened, but I ended up with half of a purple crayon in my dryer. Needless to say, I was surprised when I opened the dryer to find that purple tye-dye is back in. And the wrapper of the crayon had the audacity to stay perfecting in tact- mocking me as if saying, "Your clothes might not have survived the wash, but I did!"
After consulting Crayola's website I followed their directions to saturate the spots with, of all things, WD-40 and then wash with hot water etc. Some of the spots did come out, but not all.
There is a moral to this story. There will always be more cute little girls clothes to buy, so it's alright if some of them get ruined. I may have less clothes to wear, but that means I can justify shopping. There are plenty of things to worry about, but I choose not to worry about purple spots. Instead, I have applied this to be a valuable lesson.
Sin can be like a little purple crayon. It appears harmless, even good, but if you aren't careful, it can quickly take over and leave you blemished and dirty. We must be careful not to put ourselves in the same hot environment with sin or we might not be able to get out. And yet, we have a cleaning agent named Jesus Christ and if we apply Him quickly and follow His directions, we have the chance to become clean again.

6 comments:

Erin L said...

Thanks for sharing Heather! I think as parents we learn things we never would otherwise. I guess thats why we're told to have kids!

Kristine said...

That was a cute story, and a great analogy! Your attitude is one to be admired. Thanks for sharing! And now that you feel justified in buying new clothes, I hope you can go shopping soon! :)

Shannon said...

Here I would be muttering under my breath and there you are thoughtfully taking a lesson away from it. Way to go Heather- :)

Devin and Megan said...

Hello,
Fun we can keep in touch with blogs check out our blog :)

Devin and Megan said...

dmroberts.blogspot.com

Christie said...

Heather, you are so great. I loved the analogy. That is one aspect of motherhood that I am not looking forward too...BUT with an attitude like yours, I will be just fine. I still have the poem you wrote about guys and honoring their priesthood. It is such a great poem. Thanks for letting steal a copy of it.
As far as swimming goes, I think I am going to try to really get into it. You are exactly right, it is much harder than it looks! But it really is an incredible workout.
Lydia is so big, I cannot believe it. Your family is darling. I love the pictures you have posted.