Monday, September 23, 2013

Michigan

Things I knew about Michigan before I moved there:
1.There are a lot of lakes
2. Ohio State's biggest rival is Michigan
3. If you want to know where someone lives in Michigan, they show you their hand and point to a place somewhere on their palm. 
4. It's cold
5. A lot of people like to camp there
6. Detroit is an industrial, economic mess

There you go.  That is Michigan.  And there are INDEED many many lakes and it IS cold- at least colder than Indiana.  And I like it.  We are in the suburbs of Detroit and it is fine.  I would like to do some more exploring and go to some of those amazing camp sites and trails I have heard about.  This fall weather has me itching to eat glazed donuts and play in some leaves.  But anyway, to continue with my storyline- We moved three days after we got back from the cruise, but we had movers which was oh so nice.  It did feel awkward at first just watching them work and not pitching in though. And there are only a few things I can't find- like my favorite bib I use for Jocelyn and my over the door wreath hanger.  And I have absolutely NO idea where they are, or if they even made it to our new place.  But seeing as I ended up with a rug that isn't mine, I am just going to assume they are gone and if someone else did indeed end up with them, I hope they enjoy them as much as I am enjoying the rug.  Keeps my toes nice and warm when I'm washin' dishes. 

 Our first night in the new place before our things arrived.  Nothing like eating pizza on the floor with paper plates. 
 Our little family in front of the house while the movers were busy at work.
 Jocelyn's favorite thing to do in the front yard.  Pick up the little rocks, drop the rocks.  pick up the rocks, scatter the rocks.  Pick up the rocks, give some to mom.  Pick up more rocks. . . you get the idea.
 Colton playing in the backyard.  We love having a backyard, but Colton has had to adjust because all he has ever known is having a playground a friends right out the door.   Below is the street from in front of our house.  It's a great little neighborhood.

I happened to have my camera a few days ago when I went shopping and I saw this in the parking lot.  Notice anything great about this semi?  It may seem like an ordinary semi to you, but those Idaho plates make it an "Idaho Gem"  When I realized how far away from home that truck was, it made me feel a long way from home too.     But never fear!  I do miss home, but there are great things to see and do here.  Like the following:
 Starting 1st grade
 sliding down turf on a piece of cardboard
 playing in a splash pad

 starting preschool
 going for rides
 coaching football
 Going to the Henry Ford museum and seeing this REALLY big Canadian snowplow.

 Riding on Rosa Park's bus.
 Playing your first football game
 watching your son score a touchdown
and just being at home and reading stories

Life is good.

No comments: