Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thank you Mama

A little gratitude goes a long way. The last two nights, Lydia has thanked me profusely for dinner. "Thank you Mama." She says repeatedly. I'm amazed at how happy it makes me to hear those three words coming out of her mouth. Never before has she noticed that night after night a meal is placed before her. Never before has it been acknowledged that I took the time to plan her meal. This is the payoff of being a Mom. Seeing your child grow and learn and become aware. I'm sure that when Lydia says thank you her gratitude is the result of a pleasant taste in her mouth and a full belly, but to me it means thank you for staying up all night to feed me when I was a baby. Thank you for giving me comfort when I have fallen down. Thank you for taking me fun places, getting the stains out of my clothes, cleaning up my spills and answering my incessant question of 'why?' Well Lydia, thank YOU for letting me be your mom.

3 comments:

Laura H. said...

You always have the most thoughtful posts. I sincerely enjoy reading them. Just like in high school you're still an example to look up to.

Heather said...

Thank you, Heather, for sharing the beauty and joy of motherhood. After two days straight of "no", it's a wonderful reminder.

Erin L said...

thank you for calling me tonight. we need to do that again soon - when I don't have fighting children at my feet.