Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Learning Lydia

I am feeling quite domestic today. My kids are in bed, I am doing laundry and I just baked a successful batch of bread. Mmm . . . great with homemade honey butter. In this quiet moment, I have had lots of thoughts, so I thought I would share. I am excited because I am going to Nauvoo next month. Mike and I are in love. We have made it a point to go out on dates and it is so fun. I can't wait to start logging some miles on my bike. (if only the weather would cooperate.) I am excited for Easter. I really haven't told Lydia anything about the easter bunny or all that. Not because I am a grump who doesn't celebrate, but because I can't find my easter decorations, AND my thoughts have been on Christ. Isn't it amazing? . . . He lives! Colton is starting to pull himself up to things and loves to get into whatever Lydia is getting into.

This brings me to Lydia- who I have been thinking about the most lately. The last several days Lydia seems to finally be getting the hang of potty training. Through the process I discovered something about her. She needs continual positive reinforcement. I wouldn't say she gets discouraged easily, but her tender little heart needs lots of affection. It's hard to describe my new finding, but I think it is something that will be pivotal in raising her.

Yesterday Lydia told me for the first time that she loved me as she gave me a great big hug. What can I say? It was one of those moments parents live for. Not just because of her sudden show of affection while we were making play-dough gingerbread men, but because she said it. Her speech has been so slow to develop and so much on my mind. You worry about your children and difficulties they may have. Lydia's difficulty becomes mine, just as our difficulties become our Heavenly Father's. Hmmm, none of this is coming out how I imagined it. And now my kids are awake and I can't seem to post any pictures so I guess I am done rambling.

2 comments:

Erin L said...

isn't it amazing how you come to know your children. I know Heavenly Father teaches parents what they need to know about their children.

Heather said...

Let us know when you're coming to Nauvoo. We'd love to meet you there! If you're up the company, that is.
You're such a great mom. Thanks for the example and uplift.