Wednesday, April 11, 2012

This is Fun

I know I haven't had much of a blogging life lately. I haven't had much computer time. I've been planning the elementary book fair. It's been tons of fun and there are only two days left. This evening I found myself with the children in bed and Mike playing b.ball with his buddies, so I started editing my sister's Sr. photos. Oh so much fun! I found a new website called picmonkey.com and I loved it! Very easy. I am also taking a photo class with some girlfriends next week. Should be fun as well.
So, my last post was a photo journal of sorts. I am in a writing mood so I will share some real life details of life.
Yesterday I took a 3 hour blood glucose test. Not my favorite. Fasting for 14 hours is not the most fun for the preggo lady. Getting poked repeatedly in the same vein is not so fun, but the good news is, I do not have diabetes! Hooray. And, the 3 hour test allowed me plenty of time to finish my baby blanket.
That brings me to the baby. I haven't said too much about her. She is affectionately being called Piglet around our house. She has no real name yet, and if you ask Colton, Piglet IS her name. I was questioning the kids on what they wanted to call her and they were coming up with silly things. Piglet being one of them and it has stuck. So our little Piglet is quite wiggly and I am carrying her like I carried Colton- low and straight out. Eventually I may post a pregnancy photo. I really need to actually. I know I will regret it if I don't.
Some thoughts on Lydia. Recently, we had a parent teacher conference with Lydia's teacher and she recommended we have Lydia repeat Kindergarten. We had wondered if this would come up and you could tell Lydia's teacher was relieved when we were accepting of the idea. I feel very good about it and feel keeping her back will be the best option for her, especially now before peers will judge her and while she is building such foundational skills. There is still that worry though that people will think my child is slow. Granted, it takes her longer to grasp concepts. She needs more repetition, but I would hate for her to have that stigma placed on her, because then she might believe it. It has made me more aware of judging or labeling people. We are so quick to say, "Oh, it's because they are the youngest child." Or, "That's just the ADD." Children are so trusting. They believe what you tell them. We mold who they are by what we tell them and it's not just what we say. It's how we act. Another example, Lydia LOVES soccer, but she is not the most coordinated. Mike and I both being sport enthusiasts sometimes find this difficult. Soccer season is being a time of growth for both Mike and I as we learn to accept Lydia for who she is and what she is capable of. I am constantly evaluating what I say to her, and what I don't say when she play soccer. Do I accept her 100%? Because I had better learn now. It's only going to get harder as she gets older.
On a lighter, less philosophical note- have you ever had your clock stop only to realize how much you look at it? It is so disorienting when you look at your clock and all day long it says 9:30.
Well, I'm tired, and the dishes aren't done. Will they get done? Probably not. Good night.

4 comments:

Erin L said...

I know a little of how you are feeling with Lydia. At our parent teacher conference we talked about Ana's lack of attention. She understands the concepts alright, but she can't focus. We talked about ADHD, but we don't want her to have that label. It would change how people treat her. Good luck with Lydia.

stevie kay said...

No one ever tells you that the older your child gets, the more you have to deal with. You think it gets easier when they aren't a baby, but all it does is change from physical needs to mental needs.

I'm sure Lydia will continue to grow at her own rate and excel in ways you never imagined. I, too, have the uncoordinated kid at soccer. Except I go crazy watching him because it's like watching a mini me. I had hoped he would be athletically inclined in ways I never was, but I guess it's just not to be.

Chris and Nicole! said...

Belly pic! Belly pic! Haha! I just posted one on facebook because my mom wouldn't stop hassling me! And as much as I like the nickname of Piglet, I do think it would be good to decide on a name so Colton has time to adjust!

I understand a little of what you're dealing with with Lydia because my sister Rachel went through a lot of that and still struggles with things even now. Luckily you are able to hold her back now instead of being told you can't by the school board. Rachel wasn't held back until 5th grade and it was only because my mom begged and pleaded with the school board. Lydia won't know the difference and will be better for it, both mentally and physically.

Keep us updated on everything since I don't know when we'll see each other again!

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

Just keep in mind that some of the "lack of attention" could simply be because of the teacher's teaching style and classroom environment - all we heard about Bella at Mrs. WoJo's PT Conf. was about how much Bella struggled with paying attention. We just had her PT Conf. with her new teacher - absolutly NO problems with attention!! Her new teacher is VERY structured and really watches and looks for learning variences in her students. Bella has a response delay - meaning that she takes extra time to think things through and to REALLY make sure she understands what was being asked of her before she makes any moves to answer or comply. Her new teacher recognized that and questioned her about her understanding and then simply allowed her the time she needed to respond rather than getting all over her to move and respond faster. It's made ALL the difference!! Good luck with everything - and trust your own instincts in dealing with teachers. They do their best - but you know your child better!