Monday, November 7, 2011

medical

I just got off the phone with the billing agency for Lydia's stitches and I needed to vent. The lady I talked to kept telling me I just needed to call my insurance, however, I kept asking her questions. She started to get frustrated and said, "No one asks this many questions. They just call their insurance." Well lady, here is the reason for all my questions: If you have the information right now, I want it. Then I am informed when I call my insurance. I want the codes you use for billing so I can make sure they have been billed correctly to the insurance. I want to know the break down of my bill and how much each thing cost because I find it valuable to know that the Dr. charged me $3 for an anesthetic and $266 to put in 2 stitches. Since the insurance doesn't provide me this information, I like to see how much they are actually paying. I want to know how much our trip to the urgent care actually cost so that the next time, I know, because Dr.'s certainly don't say, "I think your daughter might need stitches, but have you budgeted $250 for medical this month because that is the going rate for stitches these days." Wouldn't it be nice if the medical world actually told us how much things cost? I'm done. I'm off my soap box. I just needed to vent. I am very grateful for medical technology and how blessed we are. I am not trying to make any political health care statement, I just get frustrated sometimes.

4 comments:

stevie kay said...

When Nick needed stitches last week, I called our children's dr to see how much they charged. The receptionist was super nice, but it's obviously the first time anyone's called to price stitches! I just needed to know if they or Community Care was cheaper, and you'd think they'd never heard of medically shopping around.

Chris and Nicole! said...

I hate dealing with "people"--you know, insurance, doctor's offices, etc.--anyone you make payments to. Chris always thinks it's so easy to just call and get information or to fix a mix-up but then I proceed to tell him how the long the conversation was and what it all entailed and he understands it was a difficult day for me! Good luck!

Joni and Chase said...

Oh darn =( Hope Lydia is okay! That is pretty tough especially when you just want answers!

Makayla said...

We are going through that as well. Luckily our insurance claims explain everything. I felt like a cheep person though while in the emergency room telling them I didn't want their (expensive crutches) or their pain meds. :-) Good luck sorting it all out!