Monday, February 7, 2011

Oh what do you do in the wintertime . . .

Oh what do you do in the wintertime
When all the world is cold?
Do you play in the snow?
Or suffer from boredom untold?

The Midwest got hit by a large snowstorm last week. We didn't go out much- and it wasn't always an option either. But we did try to fight our boredom. Here are some things we have done recently. Maybe it will give you some ideas so you can fight cabin fever as well!
We have run the humidifier and used up a lot of tissues. Who doesn't do this during the winter?
We play dress up. (He asked to put the dress on and secretly I was excited just so I could have this photo hanging over his head for the rest of his life!)
It was warm enough to go outside.
We love swinging.
The kids love books.
I love books. Thank goodness for public libraries!
Mike loves sleeping.
Who doesn't have laundry?
And the dishes never end, even if school is closed.
This is Frosty- Lydia's pride and joy. He's actually been around for several weeks and is frozen solid. Any guesses on how much longer his life span is?
Movies!


We have been doing many crafts. Colton's parking garage made from a cereal box and 4 toilet paper tubes.
Balloons really are a marvelous invention!
A chick in a nest. Made from an egg carton.
A Dragon for Chinese New Year. Made from the rest of the egg carton.
Finger paint and any other kind of painting.
A heart valentine. This is string dipped into a cornstarch glue and molded into a heart shaped cookie cutter. This was a very messy craft and we will never do it again! yuck!
A hooded towel for a friend's baby shower. It was nice to do a little sewing one afternoon, but of all our crafts and activities, this one wore on my patience the most. ALL of the settings on my sewing machine were changed throughout the course of this project. It worked out well though because Lydia changed my stitch and I actually liked on the one she selected better than the one I had been using.
When there is nothing else to do- make treats! Not only is it entertaining for the kids, the tasty results are enjoyed for several days!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What cute crafts! Though I don't think we got hit with snow as hard as you guys did, we still have a ton and don't get out much. I'll have to steal some of your ideas. Glad you guys are doing well. Molly says to tell Lydia "Hi".

Chris and Nicole! said...

In the wintertime I like to sit by my space heater with a snack and read books. And I recently read The Tale of Despereaux and I thought it was adorable! Hopefully we see you soon!

Joni and Chase said...

Such a cute post! You and your kids are so creative. It looks like you have lots of fun at your house- can I join in?!