Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Father's Day

Father's day is approaching and without even realizing it, I have been thinking about my dad a lot lately. Today I was looking for a photo and as I thumbed through all these old random photo's I have (From before the day of digital cameras) I noticed that I have a lot of pictures of me with my dad. I'm hunting with him, giving him a kiss at my brother's wedding, helping him with a horse. . . Everywhere I looked it was Dad and I. Last week Dad had to go to the hospital because he was hit in the face with a metal irrigation piece that exploded when the water pressure became too high. He is alright, but it sure scared me when my brother called and said they were doing tests to make sure there was no brain damage and to check that Dad still had his sight. It's made me grateful and its caused me to reflect on the relationship I have with my dad. Family is certainly something I have taken for granted. I think we all take for granted our parents especially. There is no one moment that defines the relationship I have with my dad. It is all those little things that culminate in love. Attending countless basketball games, taking me hunting, letting my friends come over for cook outs and fourwheeler rides, tractor rides, trusting me with his semi's, always helping with girls camp, coming in to see me at whatever random summer job I had picked up. That's when I learned that my dad likes grape flavored snow cones. That, or there was nothing else that even appealed to him. I highly doubt Dad has bought a snow cone since I stopped making them. I don't know what the objective of this whole post is. I've just been thinking about my good ol' man lately and I suppose I needed to get some thoughts down. In summary, I sure love my dad.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

mom told me about the incident. I was holding my breath I think until she told me everything appeared okay. I'm so relieved for you.

Julie said...

How scary! I hope everything is okay. I'll try and follow up on this. Your dad is pretty amazing. I might make a claim on him as a favorite uncle, but don't want to offfend anyone :0)

Erin L said...

hey, i sent you an email. let me know if you get it and what you think.