Friday, April 9, 2010

Friends from the past

A few weeks ago a girl called for Mike. It was an Ohio number and I assumed it was a friend from high school informing Mike about their upcoming 10 year reunion. I took her name and number. A few hours later, she called again, but did not want to leave a message. When Mike got home I gave him the message and asked who Sarah was. (Name has been changed.) He couldn't recall her and did not want to call back not knowing who it was. Well, he didn't have to call back because she had called again by 9 AM the next morning. After about 5 minutes of conversing with Sarah, a hint or recognition finally showed on Mike's face. She had gone to school with Mike for one year and participated in a few plays with him. Aparantly she was a little odd, but Mike had been nice to her. Well, I didn't want to be nice to her when I heard her calling him 'honey' and 'sweetie'. Mike hung up the phone intrigued? Confused? Well, that was odd, but I guess it was good that Sarah could relive all "the great memories we had from Bye Bye Birdie." That was that, until a few days later, a familiar Ohio number shows up on caller ID. Sarah. "I'm sorry, Mike is not home." 'Ok honey, well will you tell him his friend Sarah called? Thanks Sweetie.' Now I'm honey?! The next day. Sarah. The day after that, Sarah. She has the bad luck to never catch him at home. Everyday. Occasionally when I answer she just hangs up. Guess I'm not that sweet to her anymore. I've thought about telling her to leave my husband alone. (In a nice, Heather-like way) but then I was reading in my journal from when I was 15 and I had written about a dance I went to and a boy who liked me,(we will call him Steve) but was a little odd, had asked for the last dance, at the beginning of the dance. I had said Maybe and then danced the last dance with a boy I liked. Steve cried. Would it really have killed me to dance with him? What kind of an answer is 'maybe'? Did I really do something that mean? I had forgotten about this, but maybe he didn't! So for now, Sarah will continue to call everyday, because it won't kill me to ask if she would like to leave a message and I won't tell her 'maybe' in response. And perhaps, I will finally accept the friend request I got from Steve on face book!

11 comments:

Makayla said...

I think when your married its okay to say stop calling or to change your number.

Unknown said...

Considering that I'm not married, I may not have the most experience in this field, but, I would probably tell her more than just a 'Maybe'. Heather your awesome!!!You always think things through so well.

Weigel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Weigel said...

I would say that there is a huge difference between selfish and awkward teenagers (we all were) and a grown woman continuously calling a man she knows to be married.

Erin L said...

I have no response to that. (have you seen Joe vs. the Volcano?)

Dave did tell one of my former love interests shortly after we were married that he could not hug me.

I think its okay to be a little "jealous" when it comes to our spouses. The scriptures say God is a Jealous God. (Meaning, he wants us to have no other Gods before him.)

That being said, we have also had one of Dave's ex girlfriends over for dinner before, so whatever.

stevie kay said...

I think that's wonderful that you're trying to be nice to her. I think as long as you and Mike are both civil without being overly kind, she'll get the hint and let it go in the next couple of weeks, Honey. hee hee hee Now I'm totally curious as to who "Steve" is :-)

stevie kay said...

PS I didn't know you had a facebook account! Off to go add you as a friend :-)

Chris and Nicole! said...

You're way nicer than I am! I would tell "Sarah" what's up and maybe even threaten her if she called again. I guess I should go back and read my journal again...

Jaimie said...

Oh my gosh, I would die! I guess Brian did have a weird girl from the past call him once, but not every day! Wow... You're so good to try and be nice. Poor girl...she must really need some friends or other source of current happiness in her life. :(

Bekah and Lance said...

Hmmm interesting. I'm wondering if I know who this "Steve" is, not that it matters but a name did pop into my head while I was reading. I know I would have started ignoring her calls by now but that's just me.

Bekah and Lance said...

Another thought just popped into my head, do you know how she got your number?! You should make sure she's not stalking you guys or something or else she may show up on your doorstep too.