Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A tribute to the elderly

I consider myself to be "in the groove" of having one child, and thus I have free time on my hands. I hate to waste all of that time and so I have taken up some hobbies. One of those is joining Toastmasters, a public speaking club. Totally nerdy I know, but to each his own. It is a good way for me to get out of the house, develop a new skill, and learn from others. This week I am giving a speech on how the elderly are treated and viewed throughout the world. Researching this topic has made me more grateful to my grandmothers, so I thought I would showcase these wonderful women with Lydia, their great granddaughter. Grandma Margaret Rydalch- My mother's mom. Age 92 Served a mission in the United States. Suffered a stroke in her late 30's and had to learn how to walk, eat, and talk. Raised 7 children and now lives in an assisted living center. She has lost almost all of her eyesight.
Grandma Sharon Reed- My Father's Mom. Age 72 Married my grandpa at 17 while he was on leave in the Navy. Took care of her sickly mother at a young age. Raised 4 children. Was sealed to her family after almost 20 years of marriage. Her husband died of lung cancer almost two years ago.

I commend these women for the hardships they have conquered so gracefully and for love they have given that will continue to stretch through generations.

Also, just an interesting thing I found in preparing for this speech- The life expectancy in the United States is 77 years. In most parts of Africa, it does not get above 50 years. We have much to be grateful for.

3 comments:

Ryan, Sheena, and Riley said...

That is great that you have taken up some hobbies, I need to do that too! i can't believe hoe big Lydia is getting, she's a doll. We are so excited to be coming back there! It will be good to get together with you guys a little more!

Heather said...

Hey! I just found your blog. Congratulations on the baby! It looks like the rest of you are doing well. Toastmasters sounds like fun. Let us know how it goes.

ERIN said...

I have had a few people tell me they think I am smaller than I was with Kenya. When I ask Miles he says I showed about the same time and the pictures with Kenya and this baby show me the same size so who knows!