Sunday, June 14, 2015

Anniversary and reunion

 For Mike and I's anniversary, Mike's mom flew down from Ohio and watched the kids so we could get away for a few days.  We went to Asheville, NC- a place I had wanted to see for awhile.  The kids were tracked out, so we did some fun things while they didn't have school and then after our "sneak away" as the kids called it, Mike's mom drove with me back up to Ohio where most of the Hansen's got together for a few days. 

We went to a family fun farm thingie and they had this big blank wall the kids could paint on.  Josie LOVED it! 
 Grandma Hansen took all the grandkids on a trail ride.  Here is Lydia getting Cherry ready to go. 
 Colton on Markie. 
 Josie and I on Blaze.  Josie really liked Blaze.
 The whole crew before we set out on our ride. 
 The Biltmore Estate in Asheville.  This house can fit 3 white houses in it.  It was really impressive.  The Vanderbilts built it around the turn of the century, had one daughter there and then Mr. Vanderbilt died.  His wife was forced to sell some of the land, but there are still 8,000 acres intact from the original 120+ thousand he originally bought.  Imagine Downton Abbey and you have the American version.


 Mike had a birthday.  The kids liked his Hulk cake.  The only bad part about his birthday this year was it landed on Mother's day.  It's hard to share a special day.  It was particularly hard this year because the day before, I was elbowed in the throat while playing basketball with some girlfriends.  I damaged one of my vocal chords and wasn't allowed to talk for a few days, so on Mike's birthday, the best I could do was text him my birthday wishes.  Thankfully, my throat is now fine and Mike can look forward to another birthday next year when we don't even have to share. 
We camped out in the back yard and enjoyed doughnuts the next morning! 

We had fun while the kids were out of school and while we were in Ohio.  The kids are back in school until the end of the month, but they are busy with swim team everyday, so life isn't slowing down.  I don't know that it ever will.