Sunday, September 13, 2015

church

It's Sunday.  I came down the stairs and the house smelled like poop.  I found the culprit- asleep in the chair.  Just what you want, a poopy child you can't clean up.  As much as I didn't like it, I imagine the culprit liked it even less when she woke up with poppy panties.  That just doesn't sound fun. 

So on Sunday, I go to church.  Every Sunday.  I've been going to church every Sunday for as long as I can remember.  My Mom and Dad diligently went, and I diligently go.  It's something I've been taught to do and it's something I am in the habit of doing.  But, WHY do I go?  I don't have to.  It crossed my mind as we moved around so much- it would be so easy to just NOT go.  You move to a new place- no one knows you.  You get lost in the transition.  When we first moved to Michigan, I think I went because of the network it provided.  A new place- new friends.  In Texas, I went out of obligation.  I had an assignment that needed to be taken care of each week and I wasn't going to bail out on people.  I really didn't enjoy church- at all- when we lived in Texas.  Then we moved to North Carolina and church was just so much fun.  There were so many people to do things with- the sort of active things that I like.  Basketball, and exercise groups, and tennis.  And now we are back in Michigan again.  I have a network of friends already established, and I haven't had a duty to fulfill at church and it hasn't been 'fun' like North Carolina was, but I've still gone to church and I've asked myself- WHY?   Or more, I went to church and I felt why.  The first few weeks here I was busy unpacking, getting the kids registered for school, filling out various paperwork and many other odds and ends.  It was tiring.  But then, I went to church.  It was hard those first few weeks, walking in and not knowing anyone, but there would always be a moment when I just felt good.  Light.  Peaceful. Less stressed.  I liked it and it reminded me why I go to church every week.  When I go to church, I feel the Holy Ghost and I feel directed.  I feel like I am a superhero and I can do anything.  Even if that feeling doesn't stay, and it usually doesn't, it is refreshing to have it each week.  A pick me up- kind of like the chocolate I sneak in the afternoon when I start to drag.  The week starts to wear on you, but go to church and poof, you feel better. 

1 comment:

Erin L said...

I was talking to my sister yesterday about the "why" of church. I love what you said: its like the chocolate you sneak in the afternoon when it starts to drag. Its a pick-me-up. Thanks!