Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Not Enough



Today started as a "Not Enough" day. One of those days where everything you do, reflected in your own eyes, is not enough. I put on a shirt. One of my favorite ones. Granted, I wore this shirt in high school, which was 6 years ago. Reflected in my own eyes I saw baby chub and love handles. I vacuumed the floor. Reflected in my own eyes I saw carpet stains. I swept the kitchen. In my own eyes I saw the need to mop. After taking all this self inflicted abuse, I finally realized Satan was at work. I went upstairs and opened one of my favorite "power inspiring' books. 'No Doubt About It' by Sherri Dew. A few pages later, as I looked at that blue shirt hanging in my closet, I no longer saw baby chub. I saw a shirt that though loved, is old. In 6 years and 2 child births my body has changed. Of course my shirt isn't going to fit like it did when I was 18. I came downstairs and my carpet looked clean. Though I have not been in my kitchen yet, I'm not going to mop it today. Today, it looks "good enough" and today, I am good enough. I am a Daughter of God. I am raising children of God. I am cultivating talents and serving others. I am doing what I need to be doing in order to return Home. Today Satan will not have me, only the Holy Ghost. I much prefer what is reflected in my eyes when He is my mirror.

8 comments:

Alisha Erin said...

Personally, I hope I look as great as you do after I have even one kid.

stevie kay said...

Thank you Heather. This was inspiring.

Unknown said...

beautifully said. I am sooooo in the same boat except that I haven't actually swept of vacuumed :)
Maybe I'll have to pick up that book and reread a few passages myself. Keep up the good work!

Ashlee said...

I needed this today. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Apparently you are echoing the thoughts of many women out there, myself included. Thanks for being an inspiration, and I think I may need to borrow that book!

Erin L said...

I see the same "not enough" things all day every day. Thank you for reminding me not only where those thoughts are coming from, but what to do about it.

Heather said...

Thanks for the reminder I've needed.

Lynette said...

You cute girl! That was a great post!

You? Love handles? I'm sure even if you do have them, all you have to do is run around the gym a couple of times. :)